While there are thousands of different types of mold, only some are harmful to human health. This is particularly true of black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, which has the potential to cause serious problems in people, even healthy ones. While there is debate on whether exposure to high levels of mold causes major illness, all molds can cause rashes, headaches, dizziness, and allergic reactions.
Dangerous Truth About Mold
When people and pets come into contact with mold, the spores fall into the air, settling onto moist surfaces. The average building creates the perfect environment for mold growth. People with asthma and weak immune systems are especially vulnerable to exposure. Children are particularly susceptible to exposure to mold and have been linked to asthma, according to a UNICEF report. So, it is important to know more about mold before trying any DIY cures.
Although the CDC doesn’t recommend removing mold from a home, it does recommend avoiding it. It may be difficult for those with compromised immune systems to eliminate mold from their home mold testing company near me. But the effects can be life-threatening and can lead to many other health issues.
The most common side effects associated with exposure to mold are allergies, rashes, and headaches. Inflammatory reactions can also lead to a variety of respiratory ailments, including pneumonia, asthma, and allergic fungal sinusitis.
While many species of mold are harmless, the most dangerous are those that release toxins into the air. Black mold, Stachybotrys chartarum, is the most dangerous of the three. It thrives in dark, moist areas. This type of mold is often in the home after flooding but isn’t always visible in a home. If you do notice black mold in your home, it’s important to get rid of it.