Can I purchase this piano? Is it worth what I am paying? How much do I need to sell my piano ?
Like a car, assessing the worth of a piano, is complex. Two classic cars of the identical year, make, and model may have starkly distinct values.
Likewise, two almost identical looking pianos may have quite different values according to their own condition, age, as well as maker.
However, in the instance of pianos it is even more challenging to appraise the worth compared to cars.
If folks look at classic automobiles, there’s a range of approximately 100 decades, with nearly all of the cars having been generated in the previous 60 decades concert grand piano. If you are discussing pianos, you are discussing a period of 200 decades +. Further complicating things, there have been many more producers of pianos than automobiles, and they moved in and outside of the company, being continuously purchased, sold, and traded. Additionally, few name manufacturers always produced fine pianos.
Their worth part comes in their own consistency. They made high quality pianos during a lengthy time period. Consequently, any year is a fantastic year to get a Steinway. Other brands, such as Knabe, were formerly a few of the finest pianos ever produced, but today the Knabe title – bought out with a cheap foreign manufacturer – are almost useless.
- So with no life of understanding, or an encyclopedia of pianos, what do you do?
- Primarily, you can begin with some fundamental assumptions.
One, an extremely old upright/vertical or spinet piano 70+ years which hasn’t yet been revived is normally of little worth – unless it had been of a renowned producer, or is very noteworthy (lovely ornate circumstance, near perfect state, artwork instance, special/unique in some manner ).
Baby grands – about 5 feet long – are typical and many are made. Grand pianos six feet and more are usually rarer and more precious.
Three, age isn’t a determining variable of value alone. Simply as a piano is old it does not make it precious. Simply because a piano is new does not make it precious. This is very similar to automobiles. You may take a brand-new, very affordable, lemon of a vehicle. Or you might have a superbly restored fifty year-old stone.
Notice: There are several moderns quite brief”baby grands” which should not even be called a tool they are of such inferior quality. They could be cheap new, however, they very quickly lose all worth.
Second, you can see and analyze mechanical and physical areas of the piano.
These are a few simple checks you can execute on any piano
Verify the keys
- Starting with the very first key and ascending into the closing key observe the next.
- Is the tone? If the piano has distinct segments that are somewhat more out of tune than many others this might indicate significant issues.
- Is the activity of these keys even? To put it differently, do the secrets perform around the same? Does it require an identical amount of effort/force to perform every single key? The more jagged, the mechanical troubles.
- Can the keys click, twist, stick, or play? If many secrets have problems, there might be a great deal of cost to fix the action?
- A fantastic piano ought to sing not squeal.
Look beneath the lid.
- Are the strings and pins really rusty and/or filthy? String do not endure forever, rusty and/or really filthy strings might have to be replaced – a costly fix.
- Are the strings there? Do the strings seem exactly the same? If there are sequences missing or some strings have been substituted it signifies that a problem with the strings – overly old/brittle – and also may Require a Comprehensive restringing
- Exactly like whatever the status of something lets you know the way the item was treated within its lifespan.
- Is your soundboard cracked? Several fractures at a soundboard and signs of previous repairs may indicate a piano soundboard requires work (costly and hard to fix ) Little cracks in the soundboard might not be significant given the ribs (the timber which runs beneath ) are still glued and connected to the plank.
Look at its end and general look.
- Is the end first? There are various pianos that have been poorly substituted, greatly decreasing their worth. An original fantastic excellent end is greatest, or even a specialist refinishing job.
- Are the scratches, cracks, dents repairable? Substantial physical harm might not be repairable or might indicate a piano was dropped or mistreated?
Know the era and brand
- Look up the manufacturer and number Online.
Consult a Specialist
- Receive a piano evaluation.